Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day One - In Transit

The journey has begun and I am now in Frankfurt Airport. This trip has made be truly appreciate flying business class! The 777 is an incredible plane and when in business, you get the airport lounge before your flight (this means free beer - Shiner Bock in Texas) are free (but dodgy) Internet, then boarding the plane first ... to be greeted by beer (Corona unfortunately), wine or champagne. This is a great start to the flight since the business class seats on a 777 are amazing! It is like your own personal cocoon in the form of a multi-directional power seat that can do pretty much anything from vertical to flat, accompanied by a 40cm (or so) touch screen for movies, an AC (220/12) outlet, a USB port and some nice places to store small stuff like a book or a Kindle. The meal was a nice four course with plenty of choices (too much food and it is necessary to say no to some items) and breakfast was a nice omelet. Arriving in Frankfurt was easy, but lots of walking to find the right place to be ... and of course another security check that was far more thorough that at IAH (despite my first experience in the full body scan).

Back to the benefits of business class ... well, arriving in Frankfurt I felt somewhat funky and the business class lounge has nice shower facilities and amenities so I could feel like a human again and be thankful for the change of clothes I brought in my carry on ... a shower later and a change of clothes and it was into the public area for a beer (Franziskaner Weissbier - quite palatable) and to write my little blog. In an hour or so I board for Dammam, Saudi Arabia where my new life will begin. I expect the flight to be quite interesting since it is going to The Kingdom and cradle of Islam.

So far the journey has been most pleasant ... and I have decided to never fly coach again on an international flight!

1 comment:

  1. well, Derek, the nomad, you definitely leave behind a large space that no one else can fill; unique human being that you are. I will miss seeing you, and I'm grateful that you have chosen to blog about your new adventure! I look forward to the next installment and second your motion to travel only in business class internationally!

    ReplyDelete