Friday, March 23, 2012

Doha, Qatar - touring around

Well, my Doha adventure continues some more! I spent the morning touring around a bit and made to the Pearl as well (more on that later in the blog). First thing is that I was touring about looking at architecture ...

Cool buildings on the way to the Pearl
The above buildings were my first architecture goal. Fascinating architecture because looking from the long side they buildings look straight, but from the side they are really funky! Below them is a mall but not one that seemed to interesting to me ... I was on my way to The Pearl ...
This is The Pearl from afar
I made the drive to The Pearl, which is a major development in Doha. While it is really pretty, it is utterly ostentatious beyond belief. The first place I checked out at a Masarati & Ferrari dealer across from the Rolls Royce Dealer ... from there it simply got gaudy. Lots of people who seem to live a high life on The Pearl - and I mean a LOT of people. It is a very high density "community". Needless to say I searched for a way out. Most of the stuff seemed to be under construction and finding a destination to chill was difficult so I simply gave up ... you do need a car to get around because the place is very large!

Next was some touring along the city coastline ...
A view of downtown Doha
 Doha is full of skyscraper construction. They are undertaking a considerable effort to really modernize the city and make it appealing. It is not as desert-like as other cities in the region and they made phenomenal use of their coastline.
Right along the Corniche area south of downtown

More downtown across the water from the park area. Note the boats for water tours

More of the coast and nice clear water of the Arabian Gulf!

A nice area along the park (turn 180 degrees and you are right beside the water)

Some of the tourist Dhows going across the bay
 Overall, it was a pretty good tour of Doha this morning - I hope to do some more later, but need to fix a minor car tire issue before I return to Saudi Arabia ... oh and one more thing ... someone asked about a particular building ... location is good for access :-)
The Bin (I think)

No comments:

Post a Comment