Saturday, June 4, 2011

Some more reflections

I'm sitting here on a Saturday evening after a full week here and slowly getting familiar with life in Saudi Arabia, still wondering if I made the right decision. There is a lot to get done still and plenty of uncertainty! Transportation remains an issue for me, in many ways holding me back from doing more here. This is the first move I've made where I kept something where I was out of choice; the house (and car) in Houston remains mine, although I do not know when I will see it next. My bird is in the process of being rehomed (yes I still miss Moxie a lot - she was good company and eager to learn). Mostly I miss having a social life and the opportunity just do things - things in walking distance, or places I could just hop into my car and go. It is truly like starting over here. I wonder how much I will want to stay once I am "settled" here?

Today was a decent day though - I finally got a double bed, which I hope will solve my sleep problems. For this, I also rearranged my room, which should also work better for me. Also stopped by the medical clinic and should be able to sleep a bit better as as result of the visit - something to help reduce the anxiety that has been a little destructive on me. Medical care is simple here: the company covers all costs, including prescriptions, with no deductible; you just make an appointment and show up. Getting to/from the clinic is another challenge though ...

Now the decision is to get a bicycle or not, and how much to spend. I means another trip to the bank to get more money if I want a bike and money is something that is not going to be replenished for another 4 weeks ... and I still need to go to the payroll office to sort out of a few minor details ... argh! Hopefully I will receive the Iqama soon.

Work is really slow still and we will soon meet to decide what our plan forward will be. I doubt we will go to a facility until next year since all of the work for the year is done already.

No comments:

Post a Comment