Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A quick update

Last weekend was a lot of fun! I made it to Bahrain and has a nice bacon cheese burger and a couple of hard ciders for lunch at the Dilmun Club, which was a nice, quite break. After that, I made my back to Saudi Arabia since I finally received my membership card for the Half Moon Yacht Club (HMYC) and wanted to check it out and see the launching facilities. There, I met a couple of guys from France and one of them offered to take me out on his Hobie Cat! It was a blast going out there and having some fun seeing how fast we could get it going - we even flew the hull a couple of times! Unfortunately, our tacking was abyssmal so I know what I need to work on when my new boat arrives.

I also went to HMYC on Friday, which was really quiet for sailing and I guess I missed the caramaran fleet captain :-( The visit was worthwhile for me though - there was a dolphin cruising along the water there about 20m off the beach :-) Quite exciting!! I need to be sure to have a camera handy for next time one of the ocean creatures graces our bay!

Other than that, not a lot of excitement ... I may have found a second Hobie Cat that I can get immediately. This Thursday I will go to Jubail to check it out and see what it will cost to get it out of storage - they may be negotiable ... and I have a trailer lined up to move it if I can find someone with a truck to help me. That should not present a problem if the boat is good. If it is good, I hope to acquire on Thursday and bring to HMYC the same day and sail either Thursday or Friday (depending if it needs any new rigging).

The last little tidbit of news is that I agreed to buy a car today! Last night I checked it out and it ran well and the prices was right ... I will get the ownership transferred on Monday and have my own set of four wheels so no more rental car! It also means that I can sell my Honda Dio scooter, which served me so well until I got the rental car. So what did I get for a vehicle? Well it is a 1986 Suzuki Samurai:



My plan is to get a new vehicle, but probably not right away. The first step will be to find exactly what I want and order it. Right now I am considering the Toyota FJ Cruiser, but if I decide the Samurai is enough for me to go offroad then I may just buy a VW Golf GTI for the street and keep the Samurai for the desert :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment