Monday, August 8, 2011

Qal'at al-Bahrain

It seems I have been more remiss than I thought with my blogging and have not yet added anything about my short excursion into Qal'at al-Bahrain, also known as Fort Bahrain. On July 14, 2011 I make the trip with a person I met on Couch Surfing. Our day started at Ric's (my favorite breakfast place in Bahrain) for some bacon an eggs. After that we made a trip to City Center Mall where I got a terrific GPS (Garmin nuvi 3780T with maps of the entire Middle East). We then decided to check out Bahrain Fort. So I will show a few pictures with some descriptions ...

Bahrain Fort is a remnant of the Dilmuns, early traders who preceded the Roman Empire and traded with many cultures. They had an interesting culture and a lot of trade with other empires; despite their small size, they were quite influential, although they also experienced a few catastrophic defeats.

A date palm above my rental car. Note the size of the dates!

This is the beach area in front of the fort area

A view of the fort from the sea area .. not terribly impressive

... until you see the scale of the walls

And the "moat" area

Arrow slits (there are also murder holes above some passages)

The right wall had openings to dump burning oil

This is the ONLY entrance

which takes you to a cool corridor

Some of the rooms were nice a cool 

My friend Eduardo for some size perspective

One of the cool rooms - a weapon storage

And the Bahrain flat and a view of Manama

No comments:

Post a Comment