Tuesday, August 9, 2011

What's new in Dhahran?

Being remiss in my blog has led to one very major oversight - something that is potentially life altering for me! Now what could be life altering for me (or more so than moving to a desert country located almost on the opposite side of the world from my origin) ... ?

Well, that comes in the form of something very near and dear to my heart: the sea. Dhahran is on the sea (the port itself is Dammam) and Aramco has a nice expanse on a place called Half Moon Bay. It is there my fondness for the sea can return in the form of something that will arrive here in late September or early October: my new Hobie Cat 16, which is a small catamaran!
This is the sail color pattern of my boat, which I intend to name after a creature I miss most dearly: Moxie. The boat is coming configured for racing, complete with a spinnaker for when I am in a truly adventurous mood!

The group at Half Moon Yacht Club (HMYC) is quite excited about a new boat coming it - it has been almost 15 years since a new Hobie made it to Dhahran from what I hear. There will be lots of opportunity to have fun out there - particularly with regular regattas. It sounds like a lot of the Hobie's out there are not getting enough use so I hope to rekindle interest in racing across the bay and see how fast a cat can really fly across the water ... In a couple of months I hope to blog about flying the hulls ...

So that is the quick update for now :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment